Rubber-powered balsa wood kit that really flies!
- Four balsa sheets with precise laser cut parts and strip wood.
- PVA glue for building the wooden frames.
- One 150mm diameter plastic propeller.
- One pre-bent motor hook and shaft.
- Three low friction plastic nose bushings - one for the propeller and two for the undercarriage wheels.
- One vacuum formed canopy.
- Piano wire for the main undercarriage and tail wheel legs.
- One motor peg (cocktail stick or toothpick).
- Rubber motor strip.
- Tissue to cover the model.
- Parts reference sheet (W), full size summary plan sheet (X), scheme diagram sheet (Y) and scheme markings (Z) printed on lightweight paper.
This kit is designed for you to build a traditionally constructed, rubber powered, free flight model of a Corsair operated by VMF-216, a fighter squadron of the U.S. Marines Corps - nicknamed the “Bulldogs”.
Construction of the model from this kit uses the traditional method of ‘stick and tissue’, that consists of a built up balsa wood skeleton (framework), covered with a tissue skin. The balsa frameworks are built over a plan that is printed at the exact scale of the model, which is in essence a real engineering drawing.
Power is provided by rubber strip motor that is wound up before flight. Free flight means just that – once the model is launched, it is on its own. It must follow a predetermined flight path established when the model is initially adjusted for flight or ‘trimmed’. This type of traditional building technique and flying requires a degree of patience and skill, but is extremely rewarding.
Typically for a small model and in the spirit of the traditional kits, profiles are simplified and adjusted from the original and a relatively large propeller is used. This is done so that the model is light and stable enough to fly on its own, is simple in construction and can work with the rubber motor. These adjustments have been done with care and sensitivity so that the shape and spirit of the original aircraft is preserved as much as possible.
Also in the spirit of the traditional kits, additional items required to build the model are things that can be found in the kitchen drawer or are easily available on the high street.
The Deluxe Materials Balsa Kit Glue Deal (sold separately) Contains:
Super Phatic Glue 50ml: Highly penetrating yellow aliphatic glue with "wicking" action . Dries to 50% of its weight so ideal for lightweight models.
Tissue Paste 50ml: A specially developed tissue paste used for sticking tissue paper to model aircraft.
Eze Dope 250ml: Traditional modellers tissue shrinking dope. A safe, non-toxic alternative to the traditional flammable dope liquid. Its safe non-flammable formula has little odour and brushes are water-washable.
(Please note: this deal includes only the glues mentioned. The Balsa Kit must be purchased separately.)